I recently watched the second Hunger Game movie Catching Fire with my boyfriend. Unlike most people, I actually really enjoyed the first Hunger Game movie. Yeah, it’s not as intense as Battle Royale and missed a lot of details from the book. But it was a lot of fun — plus Jennifer Lawrence makes for such a kickass Katniss Everdeen.
On the contrary, my boyfriend didn’t read any of the books and never watched the first movie. But I’ve been calling him Katniss ever since he took up archery. His concise review of the movie was “meh”. Other points of interest for him:
- The movie was clearly made for 14-year-old girls (Oh Gale!)
- The Morphlings were pretty awesome
- The archery practice ring looked cool
- How lame that the poisonous fog was washable
- Massive monkey battle scene was crazy
- Is Finnick supposed to be a homosexual?
- Where do they get the triangular plane thing in the final scenes?
I really liked this movie and the second book was my favourite. But I couldn’t help but think that the President would have had Katniss killed sooner in the movie. Head Gamemaster Plutarch Heavensbee played by Philip Seymour Hoffman doesn’t seem very persuasive if you ask me.
It’s too bad that the third book is terrible, horrible, good-for-nothing…